In today’s article, we will try to explain to you How to Use Audacity. It is very easy to use the multi-track audio editor and recorder for windows. You can use the audio editor on multiple devices like Windows, macOS, Linux/ GUN, and others operating systems. Audacity is also used for recording live audio.
What is audacity?
Audacity is an open-source digital audio editor and recording software. The Audacity App is totally free. Another important thing is that Audacity can be used for post-processing of all types of audio, including effects such as trimming and fading in and out. So, we can say Audacity is a full-featured professional audio and music editor.
What is Audacity Used for
Audacity is used for multi-track video editing and recording for windows. You can also use the app for live video recording. Audacity has many characteristics to use on Windows, macOS, Linux/ GNU, and other operating systems.
How to Use Audacity on Windows
Audacity is very easy to use on all its supported operating systems. The app is very user-friendly. If you wish to use the app properly, you have to follow the below instructions.
How to Download Audacity
It is very easy to download and install Audacity for windows. If you wish to download and install Audacity for windows, you can follow the below steps.
- First you have to Open a web browser on your PC.
- Then go to the official website of audacity or go to the link: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/
- Now, you have to select Audacity for Windows.
- Then from the next screen, you should select Audacity 2.1.3 Installer and a file will download within a moment.
- If the download is finished, you have to find the location where the .exe file was saved, which is most likely in the Downloads folder.
- Then Double-Click the .exe file and follow the steps of the installer.
- It will set up easily!
How to Update Audacity
You can update audacity very easily. If you wish to update audacity on PC or Mac, you have to follow the below steps. These will make your task easy.
- First Open the Audacity.
- Then Click Help on the taskbar at the top of the screen.
- Now select Check for Update. [Note: You must have an active internet connection to use the Check for Updates feature.]
- Then you will be directed to the Audacity Download Page. Here, you have to note the updated version of audacity listed.
- Now click Audacity on the taskbar, to check which version you are currently running, and select About Audacity from the dropdown menu.
- Then you’re all set, if your version matches the download window. If not so, you have to follow the instructions on the download page to get the latest version.
How to Add Plugins to Audacity
Plugins provide you extra effects and more generations. It adds extra functionalities and analyses capacities to audacity. If you wish to add plugins to audacity, follow the below steps.
- First you have to download the correct version of Plugins for your PC or Mac PC.
- Then Install the Plugin.
- Now Activate the plugin inside the audacity.
- Then find the plugin and start editing.
How to Add Autotune in Audacity
There are a few simple steps to add Auto-Tune in audacity. If you wish to add Auto-Tune in audacity, you can follow the steps below.
- First you have to Open the audacity by double- clicking the shortcut.
- Then Click in the Tools Menu in the menu bar.
- Now choose the Add/ Remove plugins option.
- Then select the Auto-Tune Evo VST.
- Now click on the Enable button.
- Finally click on the OK button to confirm changes.
How to Change Pitch in Audacity
If you want to change Pitch in audacity, you have to follow the steps below.
- First you have to Mark the region where you wish to change the Pitch.
- Now Go to Effect and then Change Pitch.
- Now you have to use the slider in the popup window to raise the audio. To a higher pitch Slide Right or to a lower pitch Slide Left. You can also manually choose your pitch change using the From and To option.
How to Change Tempo in Audacity
You can change the tempo in the audacity of your track without it sounding. To change the tempo in audacity, follow the below steps.
- First you have to Select your track or a person you wish to change.
- Then Go to Effect, and then Change Tempo.
How to Clean Up Audio in Audacity
If you wish to clean up audio in audacity, you have to follow the instructions below.
- At the start of recording, let the mics pick up and record the “sound of the room” for a few seconds before anyone speaks. This will make your task easier later.
- Then you have to select Effect, and then select Noise Removal in the menu options.
- Now Click on Get Noise Profile.
- Now you should highlight the entire recording from start to end.
- Then Select Effect, and then Noise Removal in the menu options again.
- Now Click OK.
- The track should be Cleaned of unwanted audio, and it ready for you to use.
How to Combine Tracks in Audacity
It is very easy to merge tracks in audacity. You can do this by following the steps. Here are the simple steps on how to combine tracks in audacity.
- First you have to Launch the Audacity app on your system.
- Then Click on the File, then it opens to browse and import the files to be combined.
- Now Click on the second song by clicking on its label.
- Then choose the Cut option from the Edit menu that will cut the second audio file.
- Now, you need to place the Cursor at the end of the first track.
- Then click on the Paste button from the Edit menu. This will join the second song that was cut at the end of the first. [Note: The above steps need to be repeated until all the audio files are combined into one.]
- Finally, when all the tracks are combined, save them by clicking File > Export. The play button can be used to check the combined audio.
How to Compress Audio in Audacity
If you wish to compress audio in audacity, you have to follow the below steps.
- First you have to Download and Install Audacity.
- Then Click the Edit button.
- Now Open choose the file to compress and click OK.
- Then you should click Project Rate and choose a lower value.
- Now click the Drop-Down Arrow next to the name of the audio file, and then select Split Stereo Track.
- Then select Mono by clicking on the drop-down next to the two tracks.
- Now select Flat Parts on the waveform and hit the delete key to remove silences on the file.
- Then click Edit, Select and All.
- Then click Effects, Change Tempo and move the slider to the right. Increasing tempo lowers the size of the file. Click Preview to check and OK if satisfied.
- Finally, click File and select Export as mp3.
How to Convert Audacity Files to MP3 Without Lame
You have to follow some steps to convert audacity files to MP3 without lame. Here are the simple steps to convert audacity files to MP3 without lame.
- In Audacity, you have to click the File button at the top of the screen.
- Then click Export, in the drop-down menu and then choose Export as MP3.
- Then choose your MP3 settings at the bottom of the dialog box in the Format Options section. As a general rule, you’ll get the best results by choosing Constant for the Bit Rate Mode rather than one of the variable bitrate options. Choose the bitrate from the Quality drop-down menu (if in doubt, choose 192 kbps or higher) and then save your file.
- In the Edit Metadata Tags window, fill in as much information as you desire about your MP3 file. This data is entirely optional, but will be visible if you import your file into programs like iTunes.
- Finally, click OK when your tasks are done.
How to Cut Audio in Audacity
It is very easy to Cut Audio in Audacity. If you wish to do so, follow the steps below. Here are the simple steps to cut audio in audacity.
- First, left click on your mouse and drag over the error or area that you want to cut using the Selection Tool button. You will see the selected area highlighted darker. To adjust, use the Finger Tool to drag in or out. Playback the area to make sure it is the correct part you want to delete.
- Then Press the Delete key on your keyboard. Or you click Edit then Delete on the top menu.
How to Fade Out Audio in Audacity
If you wish to fade out audio in audacity, just follow the steps below. Here are the steps below to fade out audio in audacity.
- First you have to click the Selection Tools.
- Then select a portion of audio to Fade Out.
- Choose Effect, and then Fade Out.
- You have done it successfully!
How to Get Rid of Background Noise in Audacity
Here are the simple steps on how to remove background noise in Audacity. Follow the steps below.
- First you have to download Audacity. Once you have downloaded Audacity, create a new file.
- Then click File, and then click Import and select the recording you are looking to get rid of background noise on.
- Now select the silent part of your audio clip.
- Go to the effects menu and scroll down to the noise removal tab and click.
- Then you will get a pop-up asking to Get noise profile. It basically picks up what is seen as background noise, so it has a profile on what background noise to remove from your sound file.
- Now select and highlight all the audio you wish to remove the background noise from.
- Then Go to the Effects menu and select Noise Removal in the menu.
- Now adjust the settings to suit, once you’re happy with your settings click Ok.
- Finally, listen over your audio and ensure it sounds correct. Once you are happy with the audio you can Export it. To export your clip click: File > Export and select the file type.
- You can export to WAV or MP3 in the export Dropdown menu but there are other export types if you click File > Export > Export Audio.
- Once you have adjusted the settings, click Ok to export.
How to Get Rid of Echo in Audacity
Here are the simple steps on how to remove Echo in audacity. These steps will help you to complete your task easily. So, follow the steps below.
- First you have to Open your Audio File and go to Effect.
- Then scroll down until you locate the Noise Gate option.
- Then select the Gate function to stop the echo.
- Now select the frequencies you want to gate.
- Additionally, you can also adjust the other settings to see if you notice any improvements.
- Your task is done!
How to Increase Volume in Audacity
There are some steps to increase volume in audacity. These will make your task easy. Here are the simple steps on how to increase volume in audacity.
- First you have to Highlight the section of audio you need to increase the volume.
- Then navigate to the Effect menu.
- Now select the Normalize or Amplify effect, and then you should adjust the settings of the effect.
- Then click the Preview button to hear the changes.
- Finally, click Ok to apply the changes.
How to install audacity
It is very easy to install audacity on your PC. Here are the simple steps on how to install audacity on windows or Mac PC. so, follow the steps below.
- First, Open a web browser on your windows or Mac PC.
- Then Navigate to http://www.audacityteam.org/download.
- Now Click Audacity for Windows.
- From the next screen, you need to select Audacity 2.1. 3 Installer.
- An .exe file of audacity will download!
How to Install Audacity Plugins
It is very easy to install any Plug-ins in audacity. You can install a plugin in audacity by following the below steps. So, follow the simple steps below.
- Frist, you have to Download any Plugins.
- Then you need to Copy and Paste to audacity or plug-ins folder.
- Now you need to go to Tools > Add/ Remove plug-ins.
- Then you have to Find the plug-in you downloaded.
- Finally Click the Enable button.
How to Isolate Vocals in Audacity
You can isolate vocals in audacity very easily by following the steps below. Here are the simple steps below on how to isolate vocals in audacity.
- First you have to Duplicate your stereo track.
- Then select the entire record or click on the space in its Track Control Panel.
- Now Duplicate the track with Edit > Copy.
- Then Make a new sound system track with Tracks > Include New > Sound system Track.
- Now Use Alter > Glue to duplicate the first track in the new sound system track.
- Then from the Track Control Panel, Select the entire Duplicate Track.
- Now you should move the vocals in duplicate by using Effects > Noise Reduction.
- Then The copied track should still be highlighted use Effects > Noise.
- Then you need to reduction and select Get Commotion Profile tab.
- Now you should select the first track from the Track Control Board.
- Then use Impact > Noise Decrease then click OK.
- Finally Erase the duplicated track and export the Isolated Instrumentals.
How to Move Audio in Audacity
If you wish to move audio in audacity, you need to follow the simple steps below.
- First, you need to use the Time Shift Tool to move audio clips around the timeline.
- Then you have to use the Select Tool to highlight the area you wish to move.
- Now you need to Activate the Time Shift Tool by pressing F5 or clicking the button.
- It will be moved, when you Click and Drag the clip.
- You may need to split or trim clips before moving.
How to Record Desktop Audio with Audacity
It is very easy to record audio with audacity on a PC. Here are the simple steps on how to record audio with audacity on a PC or Mac. Just follow the steps below.
- Frist, you have to Go to Edit > Preferences.
- Then go to, Audio I/O > Recording Channels – Mono 1, now click Ok.
- Now select, Quality > Default Sample Rate – 22050, and click Ok.
- If you wish to begin recording audio, you need to click the Record button.
- Once you have finished recording your audio, then you need to click the Record button again to Export the audio.
- To export your audio, you need to click File > Export As and choose your file type, file name and the location in which you want to store your audio.
How to Remix a Song in Audacity
You can remix a popular song in audacity very easily. Here the below steps will help you to remix a song using audacity. So, follow the steps below.
- First, you need to Open Audacity.
- Then Go to File > Open and Find your song for remixing.
- Now go to Effect > Change Speed.
- Then select a percentage change and click OK.
- You can change the pitch by going to Effect > Change Pitch and select something and click OK.
- Play it and see what the pitch change does to the original and select the one that you like.
How to Split Audio in Audacity
It is very easy to split audio in audacity. Just follow the steps below to split audio in audacity.
- First, you need to move the Pointer to the desired split point on the track and Press the Left Mouse Button.
- Now, you should select Edit > Clip Boundaries > Split.
- Then you need to simple press Ctrl+I
How to Zoom In Audacity
It is very easy to zoom in on audacity. Here are the simple steps on how to zoom in audacity. So, follow the steps below.
- First, you need to hold down the Ctrl Key on your keyboard.
- Then Scroll Up to zoom in.
How to Zoom Out in audacity
It is very easy to zoom out audacity. Here are the simple steps on how to zoom out audacity. So, follow the steps below.
- First, you need to hold down the Ctrl Key on your keyboard.
- Then Scroll Down to zoom out.
Audacity is a very useful application for audio editing. The app is used for post-processing for all types of audio and it includes more effects such as normalization, fading in & out, and trimming to make wonderful content. In this review, we have tried our best to show you how to use audacity. We think the article will be helpful to you.